Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, March 16, 2009

Four and Curious...

Hannah recently turned four! Her birthdays are always a special time to remember and talk about her surrogate, Lisa. Hannah received a card from Lisa on her birthday and I said "this card is from the nice lady, Lisa, that carried you in her tummy when you were growing and getting ready for us." She just said "oh" and was too enamored with the card to say anything else. When we got home she left the card in the car. Today when we got back in the car she immediately asked to hold her card. Here's how the conversation unfolded in the car today...

Hannah: "Can we go play with her?"
Me: "who?"
Hannah: "I was in her tummy."
Me: "Her name is Lisa. Lisa lives really far away so we can't go play with her today but maybe next time we visit Nana and Papa. She lives in CA just like them."
Hannah: "How did I get out of her tummy?"
Me: (trying to avoid giving all the graphic details) "The same way most babies are born."
Hannah: "I came out of her mouth."
Me: (kind of laughing) "No babies come out of private parts."
Hannah didn't say anything she just gave me a really funny look...like I was totally crazy and wrong. She's going through a know it all phase.

I wonder what kind of things we'll talk about the next time we get in the car!

5 comments:

Kristy said...

that's super cute!

she's able to understand better this time around (compared to expecting olivia), i imagine. and that has led to curiosity about her own 'beginning'.

i have the similar questions coming from bennett. when we look at baby pictures, or see our friends' babies. in a lot of ways, the conversations we will have with him about how he grew and came to be in our family, will be very similar to the ones you will have with your girls (all 4 of them!! ;-) in some ways its very different, of course...but you know what i mean.

it seems kind of strange to have that type of discussion, but i think its really natural for kids to wonder about their origins. and the wonderful thing about kids, is that they look at things with such an uncluttered, pure mind. (at least at this age, anyway! lol)makes things easier on us! :-)

hannah's a sweetie! and smart too!

Anonymous said...

She is so adorable. You can tell she is processing things when you talk to her and even if she doesn't say much, it will come out later. She is going to be so excited in just a few weeks! :)

Trina said...

That's hilarious! It brings back memories of when Jack asked me how our baby would "get out." I told him the baby would come out between my legs and left it at that. ;) Kids are so funny and innocent.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of how my mom told my sister, my cousin and me this whole long story about how babies come out when we were visiting my aunt and newest cousin at the hospital and then when she finished the story the three of us looked at each other and said "But how do they get out of the glass?" We wanted to know how the babies came out of the NURSERY not out of my aunt!

Sarah Andrews said...

This was a great post! I think about the things that Brielle will say to me in the future and you have enlightened me!