Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Reflecting Back on Stimming for my Egg Retrieval

I started this blog mainly for my children. At the end of this journey I'm going to print out each post and make a book for my kids. It's extremely important to me that each one know exactly how they came into the world and made our family. So I'm going to take a few posts to reflect back on my stimming process, my egg retrieval, and on each embryo transfer. If it were't for any of those things none of my kids would be here today. So I'll start my "Reflection" posts now!!!

Reflecting Back on Stimming for my Egg Retrieval

When I think back to June 2004, I get a little teary eyed…At that time I had no idea what my future mommy status would be. I still can’t believe that Darin and I are going to have 4 children. I started my stimulation drugs on June 19th to start my egg production. It was both a very exciting and frightening day. Darin was a little scared to give me my first dose of Follistim and Repronex (that’s right two different shots) but I was down right panicked. Needles are not my friend so I was sobbing and at one point Darin was chasing me around the house with the first needle. It’s really funny to think about now but at the time it wasn’t funny at all. We had been through this process once before and had failed so this was our second attempt, which made the whole process worse because we both knew exactly what to expect. I felt like a wimp after that first shot was over because it really didn’t hurt at all but I knew it wouldn’t I was really scared of failure again. We had to repeat the shots daily and go in for frequent ultrasounds to measure my follicles (each egg sits inside its own follicle). These are hormone injections so they come with some nasty side effects, I was a weepy mess…even commercials made me sob. At about day 5 of the injections I started to feel bloated, my ovaries were getting really big and uncomfortable. On day 7 I had another ultrasound and found that my follicles were measuring perfect so it was time to slow them down to give my eggs some time to mature. So I started Antigon that night, now I was taking three injections a night. I stayed on Antigon for a few days and on day 10 all my stim drugs stopped. It was time to take my final injection-the biggest, fattest, scariest injection of them all…my HCG trigger. The HCG trigger injection releases the eggs from the wall of the follicle so my doctor could go in and retrieve the eggs. Our retrieval was set for June 30, 2004 at 9:00a.m.

5 comments:

Sarah Andrews said...

Those needles freaked me out too. I put a picture of a baby on the fridge so I would have something to focus on while B gave me my shots.

I think that it's amazing that you are the mommy of 4 now. Talk about beating the odds!

debbie Joiner said...

After reading this you now have your Mommy teary eyed. It was and continues to be a amazing miracle. I can't wait to meet our two new additions. Love you, Mom

Kristy said...

Hi Melissa - this post also made me teary eyed. Its such an awesome, surreal thing to be creating life. And just think - all four of your babies are coming from you and Darin's strength and perseverence through this whole process. That month of injections and the egg retrival has eventually lead to 4 human beings who are loved and cherished by so many! Such magic :-)

Grandma and Grandpa said...

You certainly are brave. Needles are never fun and such large stakes would make it even worse. This blog is such a wonderful idea. The kids will all appreciate it so much when they are older. You are both amazing parents and we love you very much.

J and D said...

I love how you are reflecting back. This will be a great story for your children. And wow four children out of one retrevial. Amazing!