Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Great Debate: Clothes for Twins

I've been thinking a lot about how I will dress my twins, especially more now that I know they are both girls. I have so many choices...identical outfits, coordinating outfits, the same outfit in two different colors, or two totally different outfits. I don't have an exact plan because I think all options are acceptable with pros and cons.

Why dress them the same: For one thing, I think it will be easier to dress the twins alike. I'm going to be exhausted and probably won't have the patience to choose two outfits, much less two outfits in the right size that are temperature, activity and style appropriate for the days events! Don't forget I have to dress two other small children as well! When I see twins dressed the same I think it's cute and fun. And it sure does make for nice pictures! That being said I was just at the mall looking at outfits for my twins and I had a difficult time purchasing the exact same outfit. I kept asking myself Why am I spending money on two of the same outfits when I can buy two different cute outfits. I don't know why I was having such a hard time, it's not like we are having any other children so it really doesn't matter what I buy because no one else is going to wear it.

Why not to do it: I haven't found any specific research that indicates that dressing twins the same could cause any lasting negative affects on them. However many psychologists do recommend against it for parents that wish to emphasize individuality. Of course I want to emphasize individuality.

I guess I feel like there is no right or wrong way to dress my twins. I think I'd prefer coordinating outfits but I'm not opposed to identical outfits at all. I'm positive the occasional identical outfits won't harm them. I'm sure after the age of three they'll be able to express their own opinions on the matter.

I'm very fortunate to have a great friend who has twin daughters. She mostly dresses them the same and they always look adorable! I recently went to their baby boutique (their basement) and found some great clothes at a marvelous price. Here are a few of my favorites!

I'll put a poll up to get all your opinions on this very important debate! Please take a few seconds to vote!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a twin (identical, though) we were always dressed alike. I was the red twin and Lori was the blue twin. I think any way you go is fine.

Cyn said...

Certainly in the first year anything is going to be fine. Considering you'll have 2 other girls, I bet you find coordinating outfits to be darn cute for them all.

I'm also guessing you have lots of stuff from the first two and won't have to buy a ton of stuff. So, when I bought stuff special for them I would get them the same or coordinating.
It also really helps for 'random', candid shots to look more pulled together if they are similar.

If they end up looking the same, you may want coordinating rather than identical so that people have something to know who is who. Plus they may grow at different rates and coordinating might be better than identical for that reason.

Although there would be nothing wrong with the occasional matching outfit for the twins with coordinating outfits for the big sisters.

I'm sure your oldest is starting to have a preference on what she wears and when the twins are her age they will let you know their preference I'm sure.

Identical outfits are cute for awhile, but as they get bigger I bet you lean more towards coordinating.

Just my random thoughts on the issue.

Anonymous said...

I don't really have any preferences or opinions on it. They will be adorable in anything! I cant wait to give you the stuff I have already accumulated! :)

Joe, Kate, Lauren, Meredith and Natalie said...

I love to know I'm not the only one who thinks at length about this topic :). Glad you found lots of things you liked at the "boutique"... stop in again any time!

GibsonTwins said...

I have boy/girl twins that have been dressed alike since the day they were born. I go shopping for them with that in mind and always come out satisfied. When I say "alike" obviously that is not identical, but if I wear blue jeans and a polo shirt on one, I do the same for the other. I normally only shop at Carter's because they have a tendency to do one style of clothing in many colors. I think either way you go is fine, but my personal opinion is dress coordinating colors and not label one as "pink" and other as "purple" etc- just the same style- that always looks adorable in my opinion!

Sanda said...

My husband and I are often debating this very topic :) He likes coordinating outfits best. I like coordinating also, but am a sucker for identical outfits. Once they are big enough to know the difference and have opinions on what they like to wear, I of course would never insist they dress identically, but when they are tiny little ones I just think I am going to have to do it at least some of the time! I won't be able to help myself!
Plus I do think that dressing them will be so much easier with identical or coordinating colors of the same outfit!

MyLifeMyWorld said...

I think it's cute when they look exactly alike but I can see your point in buying the same thing twice. Maybe for special outfits and events you could do that, and then for the rest of the time have the same outfit in different colors, that way you can use your favorites 2x more than what would normally be used and switch them between the two babies.

I think it can't hurt to let them dress the same for the first year or two, and then when their old enough to choose their clothes, or a particular item, that's when their expressing their individuality and I would allow them to run with that.

Such decisions really, but I know whatever it is, your girls will be just fine and soooo cute!